Reflecting on my journey, I am filled with gratitude at the amount of love, abundance and joy in my life; though it wasn’t always this way. This got me thinking about my struggle with depression. While there are many ways to manage depression, one I subscribe to is a high-quality Omega supplement.
"Really Chivonne, an Omega? That's your solution for depression?"
Not entirely. I also value the importance of a good exercise routine (get your body moving for at least thirty minutes a day), having a great support network - be it a counsellor, good friends or another outlet to share (think Al-Anon), as well as a healthy diet and lifestyle (alcohol, shitty food and pop aren't exactly mood boosters.) And of course, proper sleep (I can't get enough "Z's" in my life.) Make little changes in these areas and you'll definitely start to feel better.
While these are phenomenal strategies for evoking feelings of happiness, today my focus is on the importance of Essential Fatty Acids.
Doesn't the name say it all? "Essential" - because it literally is essential to your body.
20 Reasons to take a high-quality Omega:
1. Can help combat depression and anxiety
2. Can improve eye health
3. Improve brain health in pregnancy and early life
4. Improve risk factors for cardiovascular disease
5. Reduce symptoms of ADHD in children
6. Reduce symptoms of obesity, low LDL, and insulin resistance
7. Fight inflammation
8. Fight auto-immune disease
9. Improve mental disorders
10. Can fight age-related mental decline and Alzheimers
11. May help prevent cancer
12. Can reduce asthma in children
13. Can reduce fat layer of the liver
14. May improve bone and joint health
15. Alleviate menstrual pain - LADIES YOU KNOW YOU COULD GO FOR THIS!
16. May improve sleep
17. Good for your skin
18. Crucial in cell growth, brain and muscle development and hormone production
19. Plays a huge role in the nervous system (think nerve impulse transmitter)
20. Will make you charming and witty to all your friends. - Just kidding. I made that last one up. But you never know, it could work.
Ever considered why it's called "Essential"?
Anything with this type of classification means that our bodies cannot produce it and we must therefore get it from an outside source. There are tons of foods that contain EFA's (primarily Omega 6), yet most of us are lacking in the Omega department (particularly Omega 3.)
Biggest thing to remember is that not all supplements are created equal. Sure, you can go to Walmart and get 500 supplements for $20... but how well do you think that's going to work in your body? Can you be sure of the quality? What kind of fish is it? Where is it sourced? How long has it been sitting on the shelf? Is it pumped full of mercury?
Straight talk, if it's cheap to buy, it's cheap to make; therefore it's cheap quality ingredients. You really do get what you pay for.
Where do I get my EFA? USANA
USANA is backed by a 25-year reputation for quality products and impeccable absorbability. I love their BiOmega (fish oil) and Otpomega (vegan-friendly oil). They only use cold-water, deep sea fish and an inert nitrogen atmosphere to keep out UV radiation and oxygen. They have a 1:1 ratio of Omega 3 and 6 with a more potent dose than most of the hacks selling cheap Omega fillers.
Having worked at a health food store, I understand the importance of quality supplements and only put the best in my body. I should also note that I am in no way endorsed by this company, I just believe in taking and promoting high quality products. But like anything else, do the research and make a decision that feels good for you.
Wherever you are on your journey, I hope you pause to recognize how far you have come. Life is a series of love and lessons and it’s important to reflect on the strength and determination within each of us.
You are magic, baby.
With Love and Light,